Sona Systems (“Sona”) is a web-based research management platform used by many of the top universities in the U.S. and around the world. The BRL has a dedicated Sona site, where members of our participant pool can view and sign up for our current studies. If this is your first time conducting a study through the BRL, you will be given access to Sona once your study receives COUHES approval.
Below are some of the research administration tasks you can perform using Sona:
- Display information about your upcoming study to prospective participants.
- Create online surveys using Sona’s built-in survey tool.
- Screen participants based on their prescreen survey responses, participation history, or other custom criteria.
- Set up time slots indicating when your study is scheduled to take place.
- Perform manual sign-ups and study cancellations.
- Email all the participants who are associated with your study, or only those who have signed up for a specific time slot.
- Update and track participants’ study completion status.
- View and download different types of data pertaining to your study, your time slots, and your participants.
As a Sona user, you can receive technical support in several ways. First, we encourage you to download a copy of the BRL Sona Tutorial, which is a PowerPoint slideshow that we created specifically for MIT-affiliated researchers. This slideshow contains step-by-step instructions on how you can use the various functions on our Sona site, as well as some related lab policies and best practices that you should keep in mind.
(MIT Dropbox account required)
Second, you can watch this video tutorial created by the Sona support team. Please note that some of the features described in the video may not be enabled on the BRL Sona site.
Third, you have the option to download a copy of Sona’s official documentation for researchers (MIT Dropbox account required). This documentation provides detailed information on every component of the software, and may therefore serve as a useful resource when you cannot find answers to your questions in the tutorials mentioned above.
Last but not least, please do not hesitate to contact the BRL Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (617) 253-1959 if you need further assistance in using Sona.